Jack Mariano and I developed our list of Parkesburg’s top 10 stories of 2012 over dinner at Rocco and Anna’s last week.
In no particular order our list of stories that got Parkesburg talking, buzzing and debating are:
- Victory Brewing’s expansion project in the industrial park between Parkesburg and Atglen.
- Ryan Vogelsong’s All-star season pitching for the San Francisco Giants capped by three must-win post-season victories.
- Dr. Tom Newcome interviews for a job closer to home but in the end remains Octorara’s Superintendent.
- Hundreds turn out on a hot Sunday afternoon in July to help Parkesburg celebrates its 140th birthday in style at Beale Manor.
- Octorara boys basketball team beat Coatesville and makes a run for a state championship.
- After holding taxes steady for 3 years Parkesburg Council unanimously approves a 25% tax increase.
- Parkesburg Point purchases the long-dormant shopping center at the end of Main Street and announces plans to turn the old grocery store into a new youth center.
- The fire company’s merger with Atglen and Pomeroy, a new name (Keystone Valley Fire Company) and the addition of a brand new ladder truck.
- The Freedom From Religion Foundation demands Octorara discontinue the decades-long tradition of reciting the Lord’s Prayer at the beginning of board meetings and work sessions.
- The still yet to be resolved police contract with Highland, Atglen and Avondale.
What do you think was Parkesburg’s top and worst 2012 story? The voting will remain open until midnight Friday. Results will be publish over the weekend.
Vote away![polldaddy poll=”6801641″] [polldaddy poll=”6801647″]