The Parkesburg Institute, built in 1858, sat high above the intersection Chapel Avenue and Green Street on the north side of Parkesburg. The institute served as a boarding school for boys and young men and a day school for both sexes and specialized in preparing students for college and business school.
Tuition and room and board for the 26 week session, including laundry and books, was a measly $200.
The building remained an operating school until the 1880’s when public acceptance of public schools became the norm when it was transitioned to residents and apartments. The residence was demolished in the 1970’s.
Tip of the hat to Gerry Treadway, president of the Parkesburg History Group.